Everywhere you look today, we are inundated with ‘positive self-image’ talk.
Right across our social media feeds we see talk of affirmations and the benefits of a positive self-image toward our own health.
This growing message of self-love stems from a growing amount of literature around the scientific research behind the power of positive thinking. In fact, research suggests that thinking in a positive state of mind can optimize your health in the following ways:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of stress
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- Better cardiovascular health
- Better capability of enduring hardships and times of stress
So, you can see that positive thinking and self-image can have a profound impact on the way we experience our life. On the other hand, negative thoughts only create stress in your body. Stress has negative effects all over, yet shows itself particularly on the skin. This negativity can lead to a worsening of skin problems (such as psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema) and cause hives or other forms of rash. It can even trigger a flare-up of fever blisters.
That is why positive thinking is so important.
An eight-year study found that women who view life optimistically had a significant reduction in risk of death from cancer, heart disease, stroke, respiratory disease, and infection.
On top of this, the study suggests that it’s not just about being born with a happy disposition.
Optimism can be learned.
Try our tips to reduce stress and promote optimistic and positive thinking in your day-to-day life.
- Don’t be scared of the unfamiliar. Instead of fearing something new and saying ‘I’ve never done it before’, change your language around the issue and think, ‘This is an opportunity to learn something new.’
- Let go of the past. We cannot change what has been done. The only thing you can focus on now is what you can do in the present and how it will affect the future.
- Keep negative incidents isolated. If your day starts on a bad note (perhaps you spilled your coffee or are running late) don’t let this determine the rest of your day. Think of it as one small moment and not a precursor for the entire day.
- Always recognise the good with the bad. They say when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Whenever you feel you have been handed a raw deal, take a moment to consider the positive in your situation. More often than not, we find that things happen for a reason and we should trust in the timing of our life.
- Surround yourself with positive people. There’s no doubt about it: like attracts like. When you surround yourself with positive people who lift you up, you will naturally begin to radiate this same light and energy.
- Make time for enjoyment. When you allow yourself time to enjoy yourself, you naturally give yourself permission to relax and be who you really are. Whether it is as simple as enjoying a bath or as crazy as booking your dream trip to climb Mount Everest, enjoyment is crucial to a happy life. Once you make time for it, you will notice the same joyous, positive energy permeating into other areas of your life as well.
- Let your feelings out. Holding them in only leads to tension and worry. By letting out and letting go of the thoughts keeping you up all night and the issues making you tight in the chest, you automatically release that tension.
- Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and boosts those endorphins.
Let’s turn optimism into a positive self-image.
As you build up your ‘optimism muscle’, you are also building the foundations toward a positive self-image. This comes from love and acceptance of yourself. You will create a cycle of joy, interest, and contentment with who and what you are.
By arming yourself with a positive self-image, you develop better coping skills, a stronger immunity against chronic disease and an overall healthy attitude toward life.
Complete your ‘positive armour’ with skin care that you know is benefiting your health.
Your skin is the biggest organ of your body. It should, therefore, be given the utmost love and care. Whilst it’s important to look after it from the inside out, positive thinking, exercise and diet must be complimented with good skin care. The griffin+row range directly targets ageing by utilising natural ingredients to restore hydration, oxygenation, diminished collagen and the damage caused by free radicals. These nourishing and natural ingredients promote your healthiest, most radiant skin to shine through.
We at griffin+row are inspired by the power of positivity. We can’t wait to help you integrate, appreciate and develop the love that you deserve for yourself through the griffin+row range.